Sunday, August 15, 2010




Yesterday we had nice outing to Uncle Karl's for Laura's birthday. (Above, Karl in all his glory.) Between Alison's kids and Laura's new puppy, we were all very entertained. The boys are funny and sweet, Karl is the only one you need to keep the water gun away from. 





Not as distracting as babies and puppies, my contribution was blueberry pie with owl crust. This year blueberry is my favorite, I've grown tired of peach (which I really only make for Ian anyway.) Fruit pies are the best and healthiest so I will continue to make them during the season. As soon as it's cold enough, I'm going to work on winter pies. I have a North Carolina Peanut Pie recipe I've been itching to try out. I also want to perfect Mincemeat Pie and Tomato Pie. (If they are disappointing, I have four pounds of rhubarb in the freezer.)




Last weekend we went to our first Mets game of the season, and our first trip to Citizens Bank Park. It really is a nice stadium. The game was sold out so we got nosebleed seats from stubhub, but we could see just fine and there were about a dozen other Mets fans in the last two rows behind us. It's a funny thing, being a Mets fan in Philadelphia. We get harassed by the locals, though not as badly as I had feared (it helps that we're in our standard second-half slump). The visiting New Yorkers don't get us either, though. We got cheese fries and Tony Luke's classic roast pork sandwich (complete with broccoli rabe and sharp provolone) and the Mets fans behind us said, "What are they eating?" "I don't know, but it smells like ass." Excuse me, that's South Philly ass to you, sir. 


The Philadelphia sunset over the oil fields:

1 comment:

  1. I'm still convinced the two older gentlemen in the bottom right of the last picture are Ivan Felt and Harris Conklin.

    ReplyDelete